>To see the works listed year by year, go to the CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ page.
- He was a Milanese banker and appraiser for auction houses and later an art critic, died in 1970.
- His 3 publications, 1958 - 1970 - 1972 are used as the only valid source today by Sotheby's & Christie's.
- In his day he was considered as a fully respectable source.
- He only covered the period from 1906 (the arrival in Paris) to the death of the author.
- No work previous to 1906 is even mentioned.
- He listed 337 paintings over a period of 13 years with 270 errors.
- His work is important because he gathered much interesting and lost information.
- As usual when the only thing supporting a work is "connoisseur" skills and the value of the eye, it doesn't last long.
- The only reason to keep it as the "source" in Modigliani at present is because the others are so apalling that he is the least bad
His work is full of myths let's finish some of them:
1.- He never included american paintings FALSE. he included many of them, not all, but many.
2.- His work is solid. FALSE
more than 270 mistakes in 337 paintings + many works not even seen.
3.- He said that he viewed and examined carefully all the works listed in person FALSE, there are many mistakes as obvious as canvas when it´s cardboard (+10 times).
4.- If a work is in Ceroni, then is original, FALSE untill the present more than 8 false have been detected and silently vanished.
Some truthts to admire on his work:
1.- Compared to some others he deserves total admiration.
He was alone surrounded by Goliath's and even so, he did a good job.
3.- His choices respect the artists legacy.
After his death in 1970 his widow expertised saying "it was in my husband's files and intention".
Her daughter collaborated with Parisot
in some points (Just in some, she is a respected art historian).
Various publications 1958 - 1970 - 1972, the real Raisonne is very hard to acquire (as in all the others) but his Rizzoli is very easy and cheapper.
. Amedeo Modigliani, Ed. del Milione 1958.
Amedeo Modigliani: Pientre; Suivi Des 'Souvenirs' De Lunia Czechowska and Amedeo Modigliani:
Dessins Et Sculptures; Avec Suite Du Catalogue Illustre Des Peintures. (2 Volume Set.)
The complete paintings by Modigliani,Art Classics Rizzoli, Ed. Rizzoli, 1970.
Leone Piccioni - Ambrogio Ceroni
337 works with 337 photos.
- After his death his widow became a "source" for unpublished works.
- His daughter is involved in Modigliani and has published some works on nudes and collaborated on some points with Parisot.
Actually she collaborates with Wayne at the Modigliani project & her recent article at Burlington magazine was interesting
03/2018 | 160 | 1380 | pages: 189-195 | Article - The Modigliani Technical Research Study. The catalogues raisonnés of Amedeo Modigliani
- I have a lovely book by her with a nude in the cover that she must ptrobably want to hide today.
- Many artworks are for sale with certificates by Angela Ceroni (widow).